Trees & Shrubs
Is your landscape blah, void of any character? Or do you have an unwanted view of your neighbors?
By planting a few trees and shrubs you can define your space, create a little privacy or offer your home a shady retreat. Planting a tree or two will also help you reduce your carbon footprint and can help reduce the cost of heating and cooling your home.
Yes, trees really are cool, and planting a tree in your yard today will have a positive impact on the environment for years to come. In fact, they are one of the easiest and smartest examples of how “Going Green” equals doing the right thing for our environment, plus adding many other benefits to our surroundings.
- Trees filter pollutants, absorb carbon dioxide and help fight erosion.
- A healthy tree cools the air equivalent to ten room-sized air conditioners operating 20- hours a day.
Trees planted in urban areas can help reduce heating and cooling costs by 20%.
Visit the Plant Database to search for your perfect tree.
Shrubs are the framework of any garden setting and they have a multitude of uses. This living plant framework is begun and created with the selection of shrubs.
Frequently shrubs are multi-stemmed and generally range in size from six inches to 15 feet tall. Sometimes they begin their life in the garden as a smaller or moderate size shrub and in later years some selections can grow larger and become tree size.
The useful life of a shrub is often 20 or more years. It usually takes two or three years to develop these plants in the garden. Thus it is wise to try and select your choices of shrubs carefully. Seeking expert advice and design skill can help prevent a frustrating disappointment.
- Create the background for a focal point.
- Screen out unwanted views.
- Guide you from one area to another and create site lines.
- Define and separate areas within the garden.
- Reduce soil erosion.
- Act as a wildlife habitat.
- Reduce noise.
- Offer seasonal color and fragrance.
- Provide texture, color and motion.
Whether for function or beauty, the right shrub will add value to your home and garden.
Shrubs available at English Gardens